1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words can't describe how bad the Dan Patrick show is...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 24, 2009.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...but I'll try anyway...I listen to his show on radio every now and then, but now it's on TV (DirecTV 101) and you'll hear more sports talk on an hour-long episode of Real Housewives of Atlanta than you will on 3 hours of "Dan-nation."

Five white frat boys sitting around talking about what each other are doing does not make for good radio and makes for even worse TV. Toss in that four of the boys are paid to talk about how great the fifth one is, and it's even more embarrassing. Add to it the fact that one of the five is a middle-aged blogger with the "hip and cool teen nickname" McLovin and you're left with the taste of vomit in your mouth.

[/rant over]

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I don't even have to watch it on DTV to be able to agree with you 100 percent.
    The "five white boys" analogy is a damn fine description.
    I've never liked the show. With guests, as well as the treatment of that "fifth one" ... you see and hear a lot of asskissing on that show.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as sports talk radio anymore.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll check it out at work every now and then. It definitely gets annoying at times. But he generally gets good guests.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't mind DP except he's on a 12-hour tape delay in Dallas and it's old by the time it airs.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I always thought Patrick way overplayed his hand by thinking "DP" was somehow a brand (though obviously not, someone's paying him nicely). Yeah, he gets good guests, that's not hard for a national show with a name host. But the self-promotion and play-by-play of his own quasi-celebrity life is beyond nauseating.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

They too often try to mimic the whole Seinfeld schtick.
    Petty little dramas tossed around the studio.
    Dan by himself, or with, say, one other person, is much better. Dan's got talent, no doubt.
    Occasionally the show's been good, but I can do without it.

This is not meant to be a free pass for Rome, but I much prefer the Jim Rome Show if I had to pick between the two.
    Chris Meyers show is, as Joe Theismann would say, "pedestrian."

Mad Dog Radio is the best I've heard on Sirius/XM.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'll probably get killed on here for saying it, but I enjoyed the Dan Patrick show when Rob Dibble was his co-host.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yikes!

I hate that name McLovin.

I got an IPOD nano for father's day, and being able to select podcasts (instead of listening to dreck like Dan Patrick) was just such an improvement.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I've tried listening to him a few times recently, and yeah, it's painful.

Any time he has Reggie Miller on to talk about anything, it's time to change the channel.

11. Sammi

Sammi Member

Dan was a great sports reporter at CNN, then obviously mined gold at ESPN. It's unfortunate that the aforementioned ass-kissing and "MeTV on Radio" act gets in the way of what he does best. Ah, the celebrity culture!

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's why Cowherd is a must-listen for me.

Not much fanny kissing and actual opinions. Imagine that.

Draft saved Draft deleted