1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words cannot descibe how happy I feel right now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Jan 19, 2012.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just found out that a Navy corpsman I evacuated from south of Marjeh on July 1, 2010 not only lived, but was awarded the Silver Star. A Marine who died in the firefight was also awarded the Silver Star.

Long story short, a Marine was wounded in a firefight south of Marjeh and we were launched to retrieve that patient. The corpsman and the Marine who received the Silver Stars were carrying the Marine toward the LZ when they hit an IED. The corpsman took chrapnel to the neck and face (I had understood it to be a bullet).

We came into the LZ, but took some significant fire and had to move away while they secured the LZ. We came back into the LZ a few moments later and took on the corpsman. As we were departing the LZ the most disturbing call came over the radio. The Marines asked us, "Hey, DUSTOFF, you guys coming back to get the rest of the patients?" I had the sickest feeling in my stomach you can possibly imagine.

I quickly asked my medic if the patient would make it for another turn through the LZ. He said no, and we continued back to the hospital.

I quickly got on the radio and launched a second helicopter to pick up the other patients. CPL Harris and the Marine originally injured were evacuated.

Here's a story where Petty Officer Gould recieved his Silver Star.

http://www.gctelegram.com/news/HUTCH--Syracuse-soldier-3-15-11

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There is nothing better in the world than knowing that our actions made a difference. This is that cubed. Bless you, tbf!

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good for you!! Thanks for your service.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'll say it -- confidently -- for everyone on here:

You fucking rock.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

MileHigh said it all!

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service, and surely Corpsman Gould's family feels the same.

7. three_bags_full

Thanks for the kind words, guys. But Gould and Harris are the guys to thank, here. I was there for about five minutes. They lived in shit like that.

8. three_bags_full

I think I just found him on Facebook and sent him a message.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That is so incredibly kick ass. Awesome to hear. Really.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Some Marine gets to hug his or her family tonight because of your actions, 3bf.

As the brother of a Marine who was in that country on July 1, 2010, I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate what you do.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Awesome news. Thank you for your service to our country.

Draft saved Draft deleted