1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words (and phrases) that are used too much in sportswriting

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Calvin Hobbes, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Inspired by a recent thread, and some Friday night gamers I wish I hadn't had to read. Here's a start:

Scamper (good name for a dog, but three different stringers used it on the same night to describe running plays).

Galloped (Seattle Slew, Seabiscuit, John Elway and Nancy Kerrigan might gallop, but not the East Podunk's tailback).

Totes (not the plastic storage bins or the overpriced Vera Bradley bags).

Placement (why do some people still feel the need to waste a sentence on every PAT kick?).

Paydirt (sigh).

Chip on their shoulder (four words into the story ... Jesus).

Tally (unless it's followed by whacker, no).

Skein (sounds like something from which to guzzle beer).

Frame (as in quarter, inning or period ... no, a frame applies only to bowling or pictures).

On the season (or night, year, etc.).

Aerial (as opposed to pass).

I just gave myself the same headache I had Friday night.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

all references to war.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This must drive you nuts. ;D

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Red Grange might have disagreed with you on No. 3.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Not sure of overuse, but the one I see a lot that pisses me off -- when idiot writers use frame instead of inning in a baseball gamer. Bowling has frames. Baseball has innings.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

These aren't overused, or at least, I hope they aren't, but I saw these in the last week.

Harriers (why do I get the mental picture of a bunch of Teen Wolf-like cross country runners?)

Kickers (to describe a soccer team. Kickers play football.)

Gridders (I envision a world sodoku tournament)

Spikers (liberos and setters are obviously excluded from teams called "spikers")

And any other lame words like cagers, thinclads (instant termination for this one), etc.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I could never really figure 'harrier' out. I assume it means the little hound bred to hunt rabbits. But it's also several species of bird.

Draft saved Draft deleted