1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word up! Has anyone gotten a Cameo as a gift for someone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, May 24, 2020.

1. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

Was supposed to get married a couple weeks ago, but it's pushed to August. My fiancee's friends surprised her with a Zoom get-together that featured random cameos including Nancy Kerrigan ($50!). We thanked them via Mark McGrath.

Scout and OscarMadison like this.
  2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Wait... you can cameo someone into a zoom?

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

@Scout, your wife must have been over the moon. Fiona is adorable.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Her birthday is June 11th.

I’m hoping it’s a home run.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We got Scott Ian from Anthrax to record something for my friend’s 50th. He was awesome.

garrow, OscarMadison and Scout like this.
  6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Pete Rose $160

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I've had friends get Cameos for each other. It's a great gift, especially if someone you know is into really niche movie and TV stars.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I got my wife James Murray from the Impractical Jokers TV show last year. I also got her tickets to see their traveling tour the following week, so it was perfect.

I actually got the request in late... they say to get it in a week ahead of time. I gave them maybe 3 or 4 days? And I hadn't heard back even the night before her birthday and went to bed assuming it wouldn't work out. Then when I woke up, sure enough, I had a video on my phone. He recorded it while on vacation on a yacht off the French coast.

I think he cost $150 when I did it. He was almost immediately up to $200, and now he charges $350. I felt dumb enough paying $150. I only did it because my wife LOVES that show, and a video from him went perfectly with the show tickets. I probably wouldn't have done $200, and definitely wouldn't consider $350. It's amazing to me so many people do. But he has nearly 500 reviews. He could have easily made $100,000 doing it, even after the cut for Cameo. That's pretty amazing.

It worked out great. She still talks about it and all her family thought it was super cool, so win win win.

OscarMadison and garrow like this.
  9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I follow the TV show Survivor pretty close, and it's amazing how well some of those people do on there. One guy from two seasons back (Rick Devens) said he's done more than 700, charging $29 each. That's insane to me.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For just $160, I can get Pete Rose to record himself saying, "Give me the Cards vs. the Reds on the moneyline"?

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If he’s willing to do it. I’m guessing 50/50 he takes it.

wicked likes this.
  12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s creepy how many people who were once in Trumps White House staff that are on it.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted