1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word-to-inch counts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by editorhoo, Mar 4, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I'm dealing with a new word processing system that thinks I have 10 inches after I've typed about two (can't convince women to think the same way), so I'm looking for an accurate way to count how many inches I've been writing. I think the old line of thinking was something like 400 words equals 10 inches. Am I accurate?

2. 12 on mine, but yes, the consensus among everyone else on here is typically 10 ...

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My past shops have averaged out to about 33.5 words to an inch.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

about 35 words per inch is what I've always heard as a safe estimate. Though it depends on your paper's type, and column sizes and some other things.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

That compounds the problem. We keep changing our web size and the word processing program is inconsistent. So I don't know how long the fuck shit is I'm writing.

6. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

My understanding was that 500 words=15 inches, give or take; 33 words per inch.

Atleast that's what I was told when I first started in the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted