1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word to Inch Conversion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by n8wilk, Feb 12, 2008.

1. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

Anyone know an accurate word-to-inch conversion?

I always used 35 per inch, but a feature I just finished came in at 90-something, 10 longer than I had estimated. Looks like I need to find a better one.

Mahalo.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

There are always variables.
    Width of column, set-width of type. Size of typeface and overall leading.
    Good rule is 35-40 per inch. But, you need to adjust that with filing experience.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

33.5 is about what it's worked out to be for me for a number of different papers.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Can we start a thread charting every time this thread is started? It would be so meta. ;D

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Shit, of my 5,200-plus posts, I'm positive approximately 3,700 include the number "33.5". If it wasn't for this topic, I wouldn't be a part of the SJ bracket.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

We need this discusssion once a month?

Here's a real novel idea: The next time you send in a story, ask someone on your desk at your paper how many words it was and how many inches it converted to. So when he says it's 450 words and it's about 13 inches, you'll be able to figure on 35 words per inch.

You see, there is no set answer. It's variable depending on type size, column width, etc.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Good answer. Just ask who you're working for. If it's not your regular employer, they'll understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted