1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Word limits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by B.P. Bonpensiero, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Agreed that 14 inches is plenty enough for a gamer. No high school gamer should go above 12 for any reason. (10 is most reasonable.) Any additional information belongs in the notebook/sidebar/box score/column. But columns should be longer than 14 inches, more like 20 to 30. /Just one person's two cents.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

You need at least 500 for that.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"First the Earth cooled. Then the dinosaurs came, but they were too fat and died and turned into oil. Then the Arabs came and all bought Mercedes-Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes; I couldn't believe it! He took her best summer dress out of the closet and tried it on..."

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

B.P.:

Just be prepared -- your office is about to become the most disorganized place you could ever imagine. People are going to keep trying to break the word cap, and it'll be a test of wills, probably at least until the end of basketball season.

The people breaking the rule will have all kinds of dumb reasons:

"We ALWAYS have done it this way!"

"The story 5 days ago (before the rule -- but let's not use logic) was 15.5 inches!"

And so on.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes, but will it be an enjoyable read?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

By my count, it's more like 12 inches.
    I can see a hard and fast cap for something like dropping copy in a column well with no jump... but even that's a lot more than 425 words...

8. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Lincoln was one smart mofo

9. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Nice

10. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

I definitely agree. I have heard some writers give prep gamers 20 inches of ink. I think that is way to much. We usually do 10-12 inches max on prep games. Anything more for high school is really not necessary. College games are usually 15-20 inches but it always depends on the importance of the game etc.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

You must work at a Gannett paper...

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's in your reality. Where you are, that may be absolutely appropriate. If you're in some small town of 4,000 which draws 6,000 for its high school football games, you may want to re-think your position.

Draft saved Draft deleted