1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woot Item of the Day question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.woot.com/

Is that a good deal? Is that a cheap iPad?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It is cheap. I wouldn't touch it.

3. Moderator1

sold out anyway so I'm screwed even if I did want it.
    Cheap as in no good or as in inexpensive?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's also refurbished, not new, which to me is always a red flag.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's just a simple Web appliance. Usually that means the software is outdated pretty quickly. Web pages will have problems displaying because of the unique browser. I've known people who have Web appliances and they regretted buying them every time.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Moddy, I ordered one, so I'll report back when it arrives. I've been curious about these and figured I could take the risk for 70 bucks. That it's refurbished doesn't bother me at all; I've bought a few refurbished Sony products and many refurbished Apple products and have never had an issue.

7. Moderator1

Thanks MacD, eager for your report. If you give it the thumbs up, I'll catch it on the next wootoff.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Sorry I'm so behind on my report. The Dash showed up a few weeks ago — a few weeks after it was supposed to. In Woot's defense, they were great with communicating delays and such and gave me many opportunities to cancel my order if I desired.

As for the Dash itself, it's... OK. Depends on what you want it for, I suppose. It works fine and does some interesting things. I basically wanted one for use as a sports ticker-type device in my basement and it works pretty well for that. It would also work well as an expensive alarm clock; the display is very nice and can be dimmed, and you can also have it set to show the time and weather information. As a potential iPad substitute, though, absolutely not.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Draft saved Draft deleted