1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody should be glad Doyel isn't his editor ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's wake up the shade of Victor Nabokov and have him adjudicate the King-Meyer and Paige-Doyel disputes.
    Seriously, TSP, I was a columnist for many years, and NO columnist, not Red Smith, not Jimmy Cannon, not Jim Murray, didn't turn in clinkers every so often. The best ones knew it and made the knowledge make them better writers.
    A pattern of poor writing is fair game. Evaluating factual errors or disputing an opinion, OK. But ripping one column is foul play. It also sets a precedent for judging work Doyel may come to regret.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm going to give Stephen King a little more leeway to criticize someone's writing ability than Doyel.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The most chickenshit part of a chickenshit stunt is putting the third party in the middle of it, IMHO.

Just a huge asshole move, all the way around.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

King is no one to throw down a trident and determine what passes for great or shitty fiction.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2003/09/24/dumbing_down_american_readers/

Poe shit bigger than Stephen King.

5. It's not only because it's writer-on-writer. It happens in sports. There was a no-name Pittsburgh safety who thought it was a good idea to call out Tom Brady a year or two ago, and Brady picked him apart.

Kinda the same thing. Writers rip players, players rip writers, and you can always dismiss it with "He doesn't know what he's talking about." Completely different spheres.

When a peer rips a peer, a select few can get away with, as they're so superior they're beyond reproach. Most people, however, will end up humbled in fairly short order.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Moddy, my experience with him is only second hand.

The FAN590, one of the more even handed sports radio networks interviewed him a number of years ago about some Colorado Avs related story and he more or less told the host Bob McCown that he didn't know what he was talking about.

But that's just my experience as a listener.

Mostly I've always liked his print stuff but this one column is ridiculously bad.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, to the best of anyone's knowledge, has Woody responded in any way? I think Woody can take the shot. The argument here is that Doyel doesn't have enough clout to go after someone who has been around a lot longer than he has. It was a lazy piece of writing. With that Super Bowl, Kobe coming off 61 points, a pretty good college basketball season, etc., this is the best blog effort we can get from a guy making how much money at cbssportsline?

8. pallister

pallister Guest

This is exactly what I was saying to Zeke. He totally agreed.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Well played.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... and this is different from any other BLOG! entry?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/64179/

... or any other time he's graced us with his presence here?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1003189/

Dude's established a pattern, that's for sure.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Apparently scouring the nation's newspapers for the worst lede.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Awesome.

I mean, fuck you pallister!

Draft saved Draft deleted