1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody should be glad Doyel isn't his editor ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's 37 or 38 or so...

2. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

That's what I thought. Like you said, it'd be more understandable if he was 25.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

HA. That's what I was thinking, too.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Why would readers find that lede discussion interesting in the first place? That's so inside baseball there should be third-base coaches translating.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight -- criticize a sports figure, good. Criticize a sportswriter, bad.

Does that about sum it up?

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Gregg,

That was complete chickenshit. If you would like to discuss my comment, feel free to send me a pm.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear TSP: Sportswriters, as the title implies, get paid to write about sports. They don't get paid to write about other sportswriters. That's what message boards are for.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Actually, they write plenty of nonsports stories. But based on your definition, writing about another sportswriter is writing about sports.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

... by the likes of Gregggggg Doily

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Ok, but generally sportswriters have some sort of beat or focus, and I'm not sure that Greggy-poo is on the Writing Criticism Beat. And even if he's a national columnist who jumps from sport to sport, he's still taking a cheapshot at someone, a cheapshot that accomplishes nothing but to say: "Bah ha, look how bad I think Woody Paige is." It doesn't advance our understanding of the writing process. It doesn't provide insight. It's completely out of the blue, puerile, and unprofessional.

11. TheSportsPredictor

Stephen King just said that Stephenie Meyer can't write. Where's the outrage?

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/stephen-king-on-twilight-author-stephenie-meyer-can-t-write-worth-a-darn/18406?nc

I mean, seriously, if Woody Paige can't take a shot he shouldn't be in the role of criticizing others as sportswriter. The reason everyone on here is so up in arms is because of the person, not the action.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is not a shot.
    It is a CHEAP shot.
    It is a juvenile shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted