1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody should be glad Doyel isn't his editor ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Edited for brevity and clarity.

2. In the neverending battle of the craptastic versus the craptacular, the only real loser is the English language.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Completely different audience (you know, prep reporter rather than GD) ... A friend of mine was written up at work last fall when he wrote an entry on his prep blog and mentioned a conversation he had with a reporter at another paper. Didn't run it by said reporter, who saw it and asked to be removed from it. My friend's SE caught wind (smaller paper) when the other reporter's SE sent an e-mail also asking. Said conversation wasn't 'on the record,' which was true.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hard though it may be to believe, I think there are still some sports fans out there intelligent enough, and who read newspapers, and know who the best columnists used to be.

5. SportsBiz

SportsBiz New Member

It's easy to rip a guy's lede in a blog ... which requires no lede. It's one thing to be a media critic, it's another to be a member of the media that's critical of his brethren. This kind of stuff always comes back to bite you. And besides, it smacks of jealousy. Stick to what you do best, Gregg ... and hop over to yet another job. The guy's played on more teams than Mike Morgan!

6. accguy

accguy Member

Woody's lede: pretty cliched

Gregg's blog: very lame.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/13338414
    http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/5881996/13338897

I'm stealing Moddy's line...very weak sauce.

8. I sit here pondering.
    Greg Doyel.
    Asshat or Dickburger?
    I'll get back to y'all.

9. jps

jps Active Member

assburger, mayhaps, f_b?

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

sounds like a poll subject.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm with **gasp** Hondo on this. It may come as a shock to some in the industry but there are a lot of people who do care about good writing and would agree that this lede would have been bounced from a 20,000 weekly. It's not just a horrible cliche, it's an outdated cliche.

What Doyel did was incredibly bush league and unprofessional but hey, maybe he just can't stand Paige.

Having seen/heard Woody interviewed a few times, it's not surprising. Guy comes across as a first class dick.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of the more entertaining nights of my life was being seated next to Woody at the opening of the Sydney Games. The ceremony was enjoyable and so was Woody. I haven't seen or talked to him since he became a TV star but he was far from a dick in those days. At least to me. I could be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted