1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Woody Plaige'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Don't you think the possibility is very high he heard the quote, liked the idea of it, then wrote based around it?
    I was at a softball game yesterday and a local freshman hit a home run. When the opposing team got back to the dugout, some of the girls were talking and I heard one say "She's a freshman? Man, I wish I was that good when I was a freshman. I wish I was that good now."
    I had no idea who said it, but the freshman ended up being the story of the game and the quote inspired it. Of course, like an idiot, I forgot to actually use the quote.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Well-known writer does a sidebar story on the fan experience of attending a golf tournament. He quotes "Suzy Smith of Suburban Podunk" in the story saying how much fun it was and she really enjoyed being at the tournament.
    Another writer covered the school board of Suburban Podunk, of which "Suzy Smith" was a member. At the next meeting, the writer approaches "Smith" and makes a comment about golf.
    Smith says, "What?"
    Golf tournament, you went to it, right?
    No.
    But you were quoted in a story from the tournament.
    Oh, that. The guy who wrote that is my uncle.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe she was lying because she skipped school to watch golf.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Paige should be fired but he won't because he's a celebrity.

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

From SportsbyBrooks:

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/columnist-confirms-paige-plagiarized-le-batard-29752

I don't see how Paige eels out of this.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hugh G. Rection, Jack Mehoff, Ben Dover, Aywanna Fuqua, etc etc.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm so conflicted on these types of situations. I've never worked with someone guilty of a Cardinal Sin such as fabrication or plagiarism, but I know coworkers who have done dumb, unethical shit such as letting a big-name athlete sign a copy of the writer's feature on said big-name athlete, or agreeing for no reason other than to be a "team player" not to report on a scandal.

On one hand, I hate the fact that those people are even in journalism. On the other, I don't think I have the right to be the whistle blower and possibly end someone's career. But man, have I wanted to in the past.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes. Slats Grobnick was obviously a type/composite. It worked beautifully.

Royko remains the gold standard.

Too bad some other renowned, "cherished' big-city general columnists have chosen not to play it that way.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

At the Independence Bowl Paige once wrote an entire column bashing Alabama premised on an idiotic question asked by "an Alabama reporter." The problem? The question was actually asked by a local Shreveport radio guy.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Iffen it's true, he should be canned.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you plagiarize, make sure you don't copy from a fellow loudmouth.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would love it if Poynter would grab a few years worth of columns from every columnist in the country and try to find every time they quote someone who isn't a public figure/athlete/coach/GM etc... and then try to prove that person exists.

Draft saved Draft deleted