1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody Paige on planning a suicide....his own.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, I think one of the most widely-held views of what happened with OJ Simpson was that he went over to his wife's place to slash her tires, discovered her with the waiter and the rest is history. The same thing with all those freeway shootings in California. Why'd they do it? They lost it and they happened to have a weapon handy.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Detroit News columnist Chris McCoskey on his depression:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120505/OPINION03/205050381

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can say this unequivocally: If we had had a gun in my house when I was growing up, I would not be alive today. I would not have the wonderful wife and two amazing children I have. That's why I'll never own a gun. I know looking back now that I didn't really want to die; I just didn't know how to keep going. I'm glad I never had an easy way out.

4. Damn, hadn't read this column on McKinley before. Makes me sad all over again. Loved watching him play at South Carolina.

5. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Just a nit about McCoskey's otherwise stirring piece: did he not consider when he was contemplating turning into traffic that he might be taking someone else's life?

6. Was wondering the same thing and thought that was worth a mention, even if only to put that thought in the head of anyone else who may be thinking of doing the same thing.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

This thought about owning a gun that has nothing to do with depression.

My father once was showing his guns to a bunch of kids at my brother's 10th birthday party. He was sure it was empty and fired it, but it was loaded and he shot a hole in the basement ceiling. Fortunately it hit a bookcase that was directly above but I was standing five feet from the bookcase. I don't want to be overly dramatic but anecdotally I know a lot of people who have come close to being killed in a gun accident and none who ever successfully defended their family. If you have children don't keep guns in the house for self defense.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Depression is very real and affects more people than we realize. It's NOT a game.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bradley,

I'm sorry. I know how hard it is and the rejection just adds to it. Hang in there and know you are not alone.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me. When I was in high school a bunch of us were hanging out at a friend's house, and he brought his dad's rifle out to show off. Damn thing went off somehow and blew a hole in the wall about 3 feet above my head. Count me in the camp who will never have a gun in my house.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wayne Chrebet agrees.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Never count on an employer to be supportive or to be there for you. If it is, that's gravy, but it doesn't usually happen. You are expected to be there for the employer, but not vice versa.

Never count on friends, either. In tough, negative situations, you'll find out who your real friends are, and you'll be lucky if you find that you have one or two. And usually, those real friends turn out to be family, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted