1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody Paige on planning a suicide....his own.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Sep 23, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Powerful stuff. If you know Woody, none of this will surprise you.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_16149407

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've known Woody since college and that doesn't surprise me for a second.

Very powerful stuff.

3. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

He can be a clown on TV, but this is a spectacular and poignant column. As someone who lost a friend to suicide several years ago, it hits home.

4. I find much of what he writes unreadable. But in a decade or so that I've paid attention, this is probably the best thing he's ever written.

5. great column

6. Mizzougrad96

I wonder if the whole debacle at the SLC Olympics had anything to do with why he was depressed.

7. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Damn. I can't imagine how tough it is to put something like that into words, and Paige did it well here.

Bit out of the loop (I was in high school at the time). Care to elaborate?

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Good read. Didn't see that coming. Interesting.

10. Mizzougrad96

Paige wrote a controversial column at the Olympics where he made fun of Mormons. It was funny, but it was over the top. They made him seem like Public Enemy No. 1 at the Olympics, which was ridiculous, but the worst part was the EIC at The Post wrote a front page editorial that just shredded Woody. It was insane and to say Woody felt thrown under the bus was the understatement of the century.

There aren't many papers out there where the lead sports columnist is so tied into the paper's identity and that is definitely the case with Woody and The Post. He's been there 30+ years, not counting the year or so he left to go to ESPN.

Some of the criticisms of Woody are valid. But he is a really genuine and good guy.

11. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

As frustrating as Paige's act on television and some of his work can be, pieces like this show how he was capable of rising to this level.

12. sptwri

sptwri Member

I've liked Woody Paige at his worst and his best. And being a fellow of a caustic bent myself, sometimes Woody is at his best when others think he's the worst.

Mizzou, I remember SLC Olympics and scotch at the bar with Woody.

As someone who has written about his own depression, writing about it can be part of the process of retaining your grip.

Draft saved Draft deleted