1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody Paige leaving Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jul 30, 2016.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me why the top sports columnists are all complete and utter aholes?

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That's what you got from reading that? And "all"? Hmmm. Yes, many major columnists have huge egos, as do many successful people in any business.

5. justgladtobehere

Paige, Lupica, Simers, Plaschke, Shank, Mariotti, Bayless. All outright aholes or sanctimonious aholes. A more miserable group of people you couldn't find.

6. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

I think you're wrong about Plaschke. I always found him to be a good guy at events. Maybe he comes off otherwise on TV. I couldn't say; I never watch the shouting-journalist shows.

But Simers, yeah. However bad you hear or think he was — he was worse.

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

are you referring to them as a-holes based on their writing or from knowing them in person? I worked alongside Plaschke and Simers for many years. While you can sense the ego when speaking with Simers, I didn't see him to be a-hole. Plaschke was as very easy-going and friendly every time I saw him or covered a game that he was at. I never thought of him as an a-hole and still don't. The others I don't know in person but I can see where their on-air or in-print persona can come across very a-holish.

8. justgladtobehere

I may be lumping Simers and Plaschke together. Plaschke did the screaming head thing on ESPN, but was it Simers who outright stated he went into the Dodgers clubhouse to piss off players? And wasn't Simers the Luddite who attacked DePodesta for using math?

And I forgot the fraud in Detroit who writes crappy books.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Have we been transported back to 1995?

Draft saved Draft deleted