1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody Paige back to Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Dude, this is ridiculously unfair: "One of his first stops."

I'd hate to be judged by the work I turned in at my "first stop." People grow and improve. I know I did, and I've watched many young sportswriters grow and improve. It happens.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And sometimes it doesn't. Professional writers should know how to write.

I guarantee if copy editors were allowing mistakes into print every day, something would be done. Having the protection of editing shouldn't change basic standards.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line, though. I can work with a story that has news in it. Make it read better. Correct grammar errors.

I can't put news in a grammatically correct, perfectly spelled snoozer.

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Hooray! Deadspin links to The Big Lead links to SportsJournalists.com

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Woody Paige can still write. He never should have gone to ESPN in the first place.

6. scalper

scalper Member

Every time an editor tells you to write shorter, to make that "takeout" 25 instead of 50, blame ESPN.

Every time a paper outlaws or limits jumps from a section front, blame ESPN.

I know USA Today was the start, but ESPN and highlights really changed things for the worse.

I'd call ESPN the devil, but that's too easy and not nearly harsh enough.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I assume this is hyperbole. 50 inches?

And I've seen a CE hustled out the door after a few weeks. Would he have gotten any better? No. Was he given the chance to get any better? Hell, no.

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

well-constructed. Hopefully this is the end of ESPN's biggest dolt. And that's a mouthful.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Paige tells a Denver blog he is NOT coming back to the Post.

http://www.westword.com/blogs/

How much truth is there in this gossip? None, says Paige, who responded to questions about the assertions by cell phone during one of his regular strolls around New York City; at one point, he mentioned passing Trump Tower. According to Paige, he still has one year left on his ESPN contract, and he’s already had a conversation or two about extending the deal. Moreover, he insisted that Cold Pizza’s ratings are healthy. Hence, he doubts the show is going anywhere.

As for how rumblings about a return got started, Paige had a guess or two. He visited Denver for the first time in two years on his way to the September 25 Monday Night Football matchup between the New Orleans Saints and the Atlanta Falcons, the first game at the Superdome since Hurricane Katrina struck. His main reason for the stop was to grapple with storage units filled with books and Southwestern art that have been m0ldering since he relocated to NYC. However, he also dropped by the Post’s fancy new headquarters, where editor Greg Moore gave him a tour of the newsroom and he chatted for a few minutes with Post owner Dean Singleton. But the call was strictly social and had nothing to do with a possible Denver comeback, Paige says. Not this time, at least. Although he thinks he’ll wind up in Denver again eventually, he doesn’t have an estimated time of arrival, and he continues to enjoy his ESPN duties.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Paige traveled from New York City to New Orleans via Denver? Damn Delta Airlines!

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Interesting.
    My goods came from a well-placed, oft-used member of the Moddy Pipeline.
    We're all wrong eventually. Even the Moddy Pipeline's average will fall below 1.000 one day.
    I'm still not certain this is that time.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but any sports editor who doesn't make the case to his superiors that ESPN provides nothing but the most basic and superficial of news, giving the paper a chance to offer more depth isn't doing his job.

Draft saved Draft deleted