1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woody Harrelson

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 14, 2014.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Watched episode 1 of "True Detectives" on HBO yesterday. For a guy who started out with a goofball part on "Cheers" (admittedly a well-done goofball part), Woody Harrelson has developed into one hell of an actor.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's the marijuana talking.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Woody Harrelson was a terrific actor on Cheers. He hasn't developed into one recently. Besides, the Harrelson drama breakout threads are at least six years old (dating to No Country for Old Men). He was great, too, in Natural Born Killers (with a mediocre script) and The People vs. Larry Flint.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That Tom Hanks guys is really good in Captain Phillips for somebody who was on Bosom Buddies. He might just have a career as a serious film actor ahead of him.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you haven't seen Rampart, it's worth seeing... He's great in that too...

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Messenger was another one he was in a couple years back. Powerful, powerful film.

He's a damn good actor.

I'd say McConaughey has come a long way over the last few years as well...

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is this a spinoff of the "What did you think in 1998?" thread?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

;-)

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I alluded to this on the TV thread, but based on one episode, his character in True Detective is very similar to the one in No Country For Old Men, though it seems like he's a little more honest. The cadence of his speech is virtually identical.

10. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Hanks peaked with "Dragnet" for me.

Anyway, Harrelson's been a guilty pleasure as an actor for years. I love that sleazy detective movie he did back in the '90s: "Palmetto."

Also enjoyed him in "The Cowboy Way," "Kingpin," "Play It to the Bone," "Money Train," and "Zombieland."

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I know what you mean. Radiohead is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Draft saved Draft deleted