1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wooden windows help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Jan 12, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How's that for a title you thought you'd never see here.

OK, I'm taking the path of least resistance on this house; can't afford to replace all 11 windows, but am putting in storm/screen windows on the outside -- a vast improvement over the single panes with nothing else.

1st question: I have two windows which are painted shut from the previous owner. What's the easiest way to try and open them? Chip the paint? Solvent?
    2nd question: The interior windows are wood frames and the slides have been painted. I can move most of the windows up a bit, but not enough to open a great bit. What's the easiest way to do that? Is there a solvent for the slides? Use a rubber mallet and nudge the windows up and down until they slide easier?

Any help would be appreciated...

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

use a razor knife around window

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Makes me think of a Cenozoic version of Microsoft.

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

What Boom Said. Score around the window where it is painted.

As far as getting the others to move up and down, I'd just keep working them up and down until they slide the way you want. Go easy, dont break a pane of glass. Light sanding might help, but don't sand too much wood, if any. If it's old paint don't sand it - might have lead.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You might remember me from educational films such as "Lead Paint: Delicious but Deadly."

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Get a mask that's rated for lead paint in case you sand too much. And a razor blade is probably the best way to do it. You may have to score the outside of the window as well.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

They make a blade/knife for this. An angle blade. Fits tightly in a right-angle and has a replaceable blade at the tip. You'll be done in minutes. Cost and mess very minimal.

Or, any old utility knife and a straight hand will do.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed at that out loud....

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Look slappy stop laughing and get to work. OK?

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Leave it to Darling Joe... :D

Don't sand lead paint - becomes airborn and you don't want that, even with a mask. Utility knife is the way to go.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

You aren't the only one.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did the four easy windows today. Have to go back to Home Depot tomorrow and get the three 32x55 windows I couldn't fit in the car and put those in, along with two others I have before I ran out of daylight.

Draft saved Draft deleted