1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wonka is not amused ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 26, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A ballsy tidbit in David O'Brien's Braves blog from yesterday.

The entire thing:
    http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/braves/entries/2008/02/25/just_busting_fr.html

The key passage:

Good luck, mate: Before I head down to the field, I’d like to say something about a sensitive subject.

Kangaroo testicles.

Now, before we go any further, I’d like to make it clear I neither condone the hunting or taxidermy of kangaroos or their body parts. Let’s get that straight. I can’t even fathom someone shooting one of those cute, goofy looking animals.

But for whatever reason, some are killed legally in Australia (you can look it up, but they laws that permit annual quotas and also allow farmers to kill kangaroos on their property, something like that. Like I said, complicated).

Anyway, back to the testicles. Apparently a pair of taxidermied kangaroo testicles is regarded as a good-luck charm by Aussies, like a rabbit’s foot (or like me rubbing my bust of Elvis that I bought one late night many years ago at a cheap gift shop on the Canada side of Niagara Falls).

So Braves reliever Phil Stockman, a good bloke if I’ve ever met one, gave starting pitchers Tim Hudson and Mike Hampton each a pair of kangaroo testicles on a key chain. And told them to rub them before each start.

Hudson’s “charm” was hanging in his locker last I checked.

That’s all. I really don’t need to add to this note, do I?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Kangaroo steaks are incredibly lean, and for that reason don't have the marbling or taste you get from Beef steaks.

They are very good though. Never heard about the superstition about the testicles though.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

Jeez, I thought they were everlasting Gobstobbers.

4. [​IMG]

Suck on these Hudson.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

According to my sister, who's lived Down Under almost 20 years now, kangaroo is comparable to venison.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

W-B wins. That cannot be topped.

Bravo, sir.

7. Let's all have some kangaroo balls and a beer ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hate you, W-B, for making me google "kangaroo testicles bottle opener."

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

I don't care how lucky they are. I'm not rubbing them.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

That made me laugh till I cried. Which is why I started this thread ...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I am hopping with laughter.

Draft saved Draft deleted