1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wondering what I should do (High school coverage edition)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

The only high school the weekly I write for covers played host to a summer interscholastic touch football tournament Saturday. I wrote an advance on it last week. Traditionally, I either come at the end or call the coach later to get the results and his comments.

I got to the school Saturday after he and everyone else had left. I went to the school Monday, thinking he would be there, but wasn't. Today, I called him at his office, home and on his cell phone, but he did not answer any of those calls.

Question is should I write "Coach John Doe could not be reached for the results of the tournament," or just ignore it and hope to get the results for next week's paper?

One reason I am leaning toward "Coach John Doe could not be reached for the results of the tournament," is that I want him to be the one blamed by parents for the absence of results, not me.

Background -- coach will become an administrator next week, stepping down from head coaching duties, but will still help call plays and formulate game plan. He had been coach for 19 seasons, an assistant for eight seasons before that and played at the school. He is very well-respected in the community.

He is not very good at returning calls.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd go with "results were not made available," but I'm a huge wuss.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, because the automatic response was "Well, you should have covered it..."
    Your readers are going to look at it as blaming him for your not being there.
    Now, if you had made previous arrangements for him to get them for you and he blew them off, it might be different.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's freakin' touch football.

Do you have an email address for this coach?

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I do, but he has told me he's not much of an e-mail person.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd ignore it unless/until you get it.

It's flag football. If you don't have it, you don't have it. What were you going to write, save for the results, anyway? If it were some other story -- that you didn't have anything else about which to write -- you wouldn't just write a one-line announcement saying, "Coach So-and-So declined to provide the results/story." Would you?

But why'd you get there after the coach and everyone else had left?

If you wanted these results, you do have some culpability here.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Gotta agree, this one's on you. If you typically get there at the end, and misjudged this time, it's not his fault you couldn't find him.

8. jps

jps Active Member

yup.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Touch football tournament results?
    You should have gone earlier and found a feature to do instead of worrying about getting results.
    This is your fault, not the coach's.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Considering that quote, if it's important enough to put in the paper, you should have been there.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it was this kind of football

[​IMG]

and you're not there ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

You can't call a parent or a player? There has to be someone other than the coach who knows at least who won the tournament and might be able to give you a highlight or two.

Draft saved Draft deleted