1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wonderful tribute to lost love, or just creepy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 1, 2010.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

At last, xXxiLoVeSeX420xXx will have to answer to his own name and not any of the others he uses to comment on news stories!

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like all the sites I'm finding now that let me log in using my Facebook access. More, please.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

As for the column: He probably means well, but it's not creepy so much as self-aggrandizing. So you had a relationship with Chelsea Clinton (assuming it's her wedding, and not Lisa Simpson's, that forms the basis for his soliloquy). Congratulations. Now what's keeping you from writing a letter or e-mail to her to that effect? Does this stuff really need to be on Main Street, just because you can? Is anything being served here other than self?

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Had I written this (and I did experience something similar about 6 years ago), people would have said, "Dude! Let go already!"

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is it known that he dated Chelsea Clinton? Or are we just going by the liberal elite connection, along with the reference of moving from the West Coast to Manhattan.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Don't ask us, ask the guy who's marrying her. Christ...

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I think the ages are off. Chelsea is just 30 now. And it sounds like this magic woman was 29 in like '06.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think it's a fine piece of writing ... that should have never been published.

You want to write a tribute to the woman you claim to love, do it one of two ways. Either send it to her via an email or write it, save it on your computer and let it sit there for all time.

I'm putting myself in the shoes of the groom to be here and had my wife had an ex boyfriend write this, and publish it, the day of our wedding, I would have been a touch pissed. Not because of the message but because it's a distraction.

You know this groom has been hounded by his friends about this letter and even if the writer had the best intentions, this reeks of a "Hey, dude, congrats but I'm not going to cry if you guys fail" undertone.

Maybe I'm just too close to the situation but I don't approve. Not on someone's wedding day and certainly not in written form.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not about Chelsea. It was written 8 days ago.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

An e-mail?

Why not just text her "i luv u mre thn anythng. pls mary me"

No. Buy some stationary, a good ballpoint pen and and write by hand, in your best cursive script, a love letter. You put it in an envelope and hand it to her.

And she'll have it forever---or as long as the relationship lasts :)

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The whole point of this is to convey what you want to say to someone without being overly creepy and, like it or not, an email is 1,000 times less creepy than an emotional, handwritten love letter to someone about to walk down the aisle.

Draft saved Draft deleted