1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wonder Woman, out and loving it

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 30, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about the recent relationship with Wonder Woman and Superman in the comics, though I didn't read it. Part of the focus was on things they could understand about one another that human beings, male or female, would not.

From what I've read, they are going to play the character as bisexual. That way past relationships with male characters still make sense. Also, Steve Trevor was a love interest for the character in the comics, cartoons and the television show with Lynda Carter. I'm guessing there will be some romantic tension between Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and Chris Pine's Trevor in the upcoming movie. I'm guessing they won't place the comic too deeply in conflict with that around the time of the movie's release.

One reason I prefer Marvel is the lack of full-on reboots, though they have certainly use the device before with Onslaught/Heroes Reborn in the past and more recently with the whole Battleworld thing. For every Superboy Prime punch there is a Kobik, so Marvel can't really claim much of a high ground on that level any more.

Miles Morales is interesting. He certainly serves the purpose you suggest now that he is in the main Marvel Universe, though he got there through one of those funky reboots. He is actually one of the few survivors of the Ultimate line, where it seems the only impetus for his creation was diversity. The Ultimate version of Peter Parker was still a high school kid when he was "killed" in battle with the Green Goblin, so Morales was a replacement, not a younger version put in the story to allow the older one to grow up a bit. That universe's Peter Parker wasn't really dead, but he gave Morales his blessing to continue in the role and left.

The really fun part is there will soon be more than one Peter Parker in Marvel Comics. The Renew Your Vows version from Battleworld, one who did marry Mary Jane and has a young daughter with her, will have an ongoing.

Does it all sound silly? Yup. These are comic books. They can be conduits for some great storytelling, but to bend a phrase I've heard regarding Superman, these are still stories like one about a superhuman hero with a spit-curl.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Renew your vows is getting an ongoing?

Goddamit i had been clean for almost a year

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

For years -- decades -- DC was careful not to suggest a romance between Superman and Wonder Woman, because it suggested a hint of Master Race philosophy: that neither a Kryptonian or Amazon would ever be satisfied with a "normal human." (The same reason Supergirl was written as Superman's cousin -- to head off [you would hope] even the possibility of romance).

But with the John Byrne reboot in 1986 all that went out the window and Kryptonians were explicitly rewritten as a separate -- and superior -- biological race. Warming the hearts of eugenicists everywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted