1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Jun 8, 2015.

1. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Moncton's stadium normally has real grass but they brought in turf for it anyway. The "Touchdown Atlantic" games were the only CFL games played on real grass since Edmonton gave up on it two or three years ago.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The reason why may have been addressed earlier on this thread and if so sorry I missed it but I am amazed there are no games in Toronto. There has to be a venue there that would have worked.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I guess I can understand why the stadiums have turf instead of grass, but I cannot imagine playing soccer on that stuff. You slide a lot less in football than in soccer, and I have played flag football on that turf. That shit rips you to shreds if you slide on it.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Toronto has the Pan Am games starting soon so their focus has been on that, apparently was not interested in hosting any games.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto also had the Honda Indy this past weekend at Exhibition Place where the only suitable stadium for the World Cup, BMO Field, is located.

As for the Pan Am Games I don't know anybody, aside from some who are volunteering at it, who give a shit. I know people are very worried about the traffic headaches - in a city already full of them, I don't know anyone who has bought a ticket to any of the events, many of which are scattered all over areas outside the city.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Man, I'm old. I remember when the Pan Am games were at least a little deal in the US. Until your post, Huggy, I had not heard word one about them.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I remember the Pan Am Games in which Bobby Knight punched a Puerto Rican policeman and verbally berated a high-school kid on his team named Isiah Thomas.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And look at the players after they slide on it. They're covered in those little rubber bits they put in the turf. It looks miserable.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yep, those little rubber bits get everywhere. It's nice to run on, but anything else? No thanks. I still have scars from sliding to try to catch passes on it.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

@Huggy
    I remember the Pan Am games in Wpg back in the 90s had a little bit of a big time feel to them but not surprised that TO is indifferent to them now.

That being said it was cool to see some world class athletes, went to weightlifting, boxing, basketball and volleyball.

Honestly the only reason I remembered they were coming up was the opening of the new train line from downtown to the airport.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yes, but it's way better than old astroturf. Giants Stadium used to feel like a thin mat on top of asphalt.

Draft saved Draft deleted