1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Key, Jun 8, 2015.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Nice job by the US coaches too, we played better every game and they were not afraid to make some needed changes to see that happened.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Japan has not lost that badly since the Battle of Midway.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Curtis LeMay would like a word with you.

RubberSoul1979 likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Despite all the talk about soccer's momentum 30 years ago, I think it really is catching a wave in America.

I am not really a big soccer fan. I have become ambivalent about watching most televised sports (except college football and basketball) but the World Cup (men's and women's) has been really fun to watch in a bar or other public place. It's a different vibe among fans than other sports.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In America the World Cup is now what the Olympics were until Munich. Its great to root for a team representing your country without the overcommericalization and Up CLose and Personal bullshit. While its clear that FIFA is as corrupt as the IOC, no one cares enough in the US to give a shit. Still no one follows track and field, swimming, skiing, iceskating unless its the Olympics. WOrld Cup soccer is the same thing,evry few years we'll get geeked for mens and womens WC, and then its back to salary caps, LeBron and Melo and Brady and Goodell.

Soccer can't compete with the NFL, MLB and NBA as well as NCAA Football and Basketball, because no one has any more time to devote to it. Its not the level of interest, its the ability to devote time to it. To follow soccer in America the way its followed around the world we have to sacrifice one of our 5 main sports as well as the NHL.

There are great sports out there to watch besides soccer. NCAA ice hockey is really fun, I know it gets trashed here but mens and women's lacrosse is a great sport to follow. Between DI and minor league baseball, you can see great compeitition, but who has the time?

But women's soccer is a much better sport to watch than womens basketball.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It probably does hurt that college soccer has little following and that the big soccer fans in the U.S. care more about the Premier League than what's going on here. I think if the MLS was in more underserved sports markets (like the new Orlando team) they would do very well.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

THere is a great soccerplex in Gaithersburg Maryland where the Washington Spirit play of the womens pro soccer league. 5200 seat stadium, surrounded by over 16 grass soccer/lax fields for youth and club play. THere's a great facility in Va Beach just like it, and another somewhere in Pa, about 20 minutes from Victory Brewing. But no one goes except family and friends and the occassional youth/club teams who make an outing to watch the women play.

Good times

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

You're onto something: Carly "B-29" Lloyd

Draft saved Draft deleted