1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's Running features plus-sized cover model

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Dick politely raises his concerns about the "body-positive movement" with the local feminist organization:

[​IMG]

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Everybody realizes that a "plus-size" woman model usually wears a size 10, 12, or maybe a 14 pants, right?

Which is what most people wear.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Which brings in a while new issue: Are these magazines, who are trying to do a good deed here, actually doing harm instead by labeling people as "plus-sized" who may not be "plus-sized" at all?

exmediahack and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Who actually uses the term "plus-sized?" As far as I can tell, it's the shit-for-brains media types and very few others.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Marketers. It's a case of the media co-opting what marketers sell them. It's a triumph of messaging.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

But the usage is generally meaningless, and certainly not co-opted by the models themselves, because the term refers to the average size of other models, not ordinary people. By that scale, anyone above a size 2 is "plus-sized."

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Weight loss plan in one sentence: If it tastes good, spit it out.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Patient: "Doc, how long am I going to live?"

Doctor: "Do you smoke?"

Patient: "No."

Doctor: "Do you eat red meat?"

Doctor: "Do you drink alcohol?"

Doctor: "Then why does it matter how long you live?"

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Same here. Was 6'4 185 in college. Now 6'4 230 now twenty years later. Yet now I can run long distances with ease, lift a lot more and overall stamina is far longer. There's some fat mixed in with the muscle, I admit.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It's always by PM it seems. Funny, isn't?

Lugnuts likes this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love how Dick tries to tiptoe around the impression
    The only opinion Dick shares that doesn't seem to be a sneak attempt to sway the jury is that his wife has a bangin' hot body.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  12. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Why anybody would have a problem with that cover is beyond me. If it makes one person say, "If she can do it, so can I" then that's awesome. And I say that from the perspective of someone who's pretty fit and not at all overweight. (Getting in the humble brag spirit in honor of, excuse my language, Dick .)

Draft saved Draft deleted