1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's Running features plus-sized cover model

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

LOL. Your psychosis appears to be metastasizing.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Less than an inch away cuz she takes up so much space on the cover.

spikechiquet likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

But isn't this whole thread a troll and a post-stalk?

I do sympathize with your frustration for shallow, sheeplike perfectionism, curious as your seeming defenses for it may be.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  5. Dick Whitman

I guess there are a couple things here:

1. There are bean poles in this country and there are obese/overweight people in this country. Then there is a vast middle of people in this country. I'm a little perplexed as to why, in reaction to criticism of the bean poles, these magazines are seeming to exclusively tout "plus-sized" models. Why not some people from the vast middle?

2. It seems perfectly reasonable to me that a fitness magazine would feature fit models. Not Victoria's Secret models. But fit models. The men and women on the cover of running magazines look very healthy to me.

I certainly like the message that anyone can start running. We all know that the first step is the toughest. But, again, if you're running four days a week and you look like the woman on the cover, you're doing something wrong.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why was Christian Ponder drafted in the first round?

At any rate, I think you're perturbed about this on the behalf of others, which must a difficult act to keep up.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I think a talk with Michelle Obama about nutrition would help.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This isn't true. Many people, particularly as they move into their 40s and beyond, are going to be large as a natural state. Particularly true in some ethnic groups.

Also: If a person is that big and is exercising four days a week, that's a lot better for health than being that big and not exercising four days a week.

Also: Particular to running, the new conventional wisdom is it doesn't do all that much for weight loss, as opposed to weight workouts or high-intensity training.

I know there's some point here wrapped up in your head, but as usual, I can't figure out exactly what it is.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One plus-size model in 12 years of publication is "exclusively tout[ing] 'plus-sized' models"?

10. Dick Whitman

It just isn't very efficient, as compared to HIIT. (It's certainly more efficient than weight workouts, though.)

They key to weight loss is diet. It's far more important to exercise.

I never thought I'd say that, but it's absolutely the case.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

"Exclusively" meaning that seems to be the exclusive response to the backlash against string beans.

12. Dick Whitman

Evidence shows that this is a myth or, at the very least, heavily overstated.

Draft saved Draft deleted