1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's Running features plus-sized cover model

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Someone answer me a question:

What the effing hell are these people who crack jokes about Michelle Obama being fat looking at? I heard some of this dipshittery on morning wisecracking radio while I was in Connecticut this week, and heard some moronic Trump supporter make a comment that he wanted to vote for Trump because his wife was "a smoke show," and at least we wouldn't have to "look at the president's dumpy wife anymore."

Michelle Obama is 52 years old and has arms that are amazing. My wife does CrossFit like a lunatic. She can bang out pull-ups in blocks of 20, and she'd kill for Michelle's arms. FLOTUS also wears the hell out of a dress, as she just showed at the SOTU. If you don't like her liberalism, or the way she talks, or her advocacy on certain issues, ok whatever. But the fact that a human potato like Rush Limbaugh or talking eclair like Glenn Beck could get yucks out of calling a pretty fit 52-year-old woman like Michelle "fat," and ALL people do not laugh at this total disconnect from reality, boggles my mind.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Back when I had a trainer and was in fighting shape he put me on a meal plan.

Basically I could eat all the salad and veggies I wanted, encouraged it.

Carbs was the big restriction.

With my metabolism I don't have many issues gaining muscle but also true for fat as well.

I tend to try to eat like Whitman, reasonably clean protein without worrying about portion size, not many carb or processed food and as much salad as I can tolerate.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So is that what YF was getting at with the Michelle Obama Tweet?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The thing about carbs .... I play competitive tennis ....

And I can't think straight in a match without 'em.

Nor do I have enough energy without them.

Finding the right carbs, the right amount of carbs for singles or doubles, and WHEN to eat the carbs has been very difficult for me.

Eating protein before a 2-hour practice or a match makes me feel horrible.

cranberry likes this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I have world-class arms, but I'm fat.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd never heard the term "smoke show" until this week. The two people I have seen it, now, applied to:

1. Melania Trump
    2. MacKayla Maroney

It's a strange world.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, I was going to say that those criticizing Michelle Obama must not be 52 yet. :) But then I saw who did it.

Everything, including and maybe especially weight loss/maintenance, gets harder as people get older. Most people will find that out.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have heard some right wingers and even politicians mock her as fat. I have not seen an image of her that I would consider her anything but in great shape.

But maybe she is hiding a Kardashian booty, so I will give the detractors the benefit of the doubt.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Whitman has been here a little less than usual lately, it's because he is running Facebook's ad department.

Tess Holliday photo rejected by Facebook on health and fitness grounds

Facebook has come under fire for denying a request for an advertisement because it featured a photograph of plus-size model Tess Holliday.

'The image depicts a body or body parts in a undesirable manner. Ads may not depict a state of health or body weight as being perfect or extremely undesirable,' Facebook responded to her.

Facebook went on to say that images that fell under this included photos showing 'muffin tops', people wearing clothes that are too tight and images that show conditions like eating disorders in a negative light.

The site suggested that the group use 'an image of a relevant activity, such as running or riding a bike'.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That story made my head hurt.

Draft saved Draft deleted