1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's NCAA tourney running, or jogging thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Mar 18, 2013.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Does Geno stalk the sidelines at the Y league games?

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

You're correct that it's not close. You just got the two flip-flopped. Diggins. By a mile.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Revisiting this to say, that I don't believe it's the mediocre-to-bad basketball that's the problem. It's the fact that we're constantly told we should love it (and, similar to soccer geeks, if we don't love it we just don't "get it" and need to "give it a chance"); constantly told that the greatest feats of the women's game -- like UConn's long winning streak -- are on par with the greatest feats of the men's game, even though the competition is and always has been far, far greater on the men's side; and constantly told (or led to think) that the best women's players are on par with the best men's players.

Brittney Griner is the reigning queen of the "she could play with the guys!" debate.
    No. She couldn't.
    She's a tremendous women's player. Maybe one of the best ever. Put her in an NBA camp and she'd look like Cherokee Parks with tits.
    Griner has taken the title from Candace Parker, whose 2004 McDonald's High School Slam Dunk Contest victory is one of the great travesties in sports history. Seriously, it's on par with the Olympic figure skating scandal in 2002 and the US-USSR gold medal game in 1972.
    Here's the highlights:

To sum up, this dunk contest included three solid future NBA players (Josh Smith, J.R. Smith and Rudy Gay) -- one of whom won the NBA dunk contest the NEXT YEAR -- doing self alley-oops, two-handed windmill dunks, between-the-legs dunks, etc. They missed a few, but the degree of difficulty was insanely high. Their portion of the contest was better than some of the NBA's offerings over the years.
    Amidst this amazing display of dunkery, Parker trots along the baseline looking like a dopey white guy in a YMCA lunchtime league, does a glorified layup that would get a man booed out of the building, and advances to the finals. There, she does some hokey Dee Brown semi-blindfold shit that goes in. Hey, at least she got her hand above the rim on that one. Let's give her a round of appl- wait ... WHAT!?
    SHE FUCKING WON!!??
    Are you fucking kidding me!?!?
    There is no way on God's green earth she should've gotten more than a "2" on her first-round dunk. Maybe a "4" on her finals dunks. I guess having a vagina adds eight points to your score.
    To win this thing was a traveshamockery. She deserves a punch in the cooter for this disgrace. I hope she keeps that trophy on her mantle and sees it every night, and cries a little tear of shame. She's got to know she didn't deserve it. That trophy needs to be on display somewhere. It needs to serve as a monument to every screeching member of the pro-women's basketball crowd that, while the women's game is a nice diversion if your school is good, it will never .... EVER ...EVER!!!! ... be on par with the best the men have to offer.
    EVER!!!!!!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You must be new here...

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Delle Donne >> Diggins

Plus Delle Donne gets bonus points for telling Geno to fuck himself.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yes, Christine Brennan would go batshit. But you would not be running afoul of Title IX because no women's opportunities would be taken away. They would be shifted. Especially if, as I said, men's BB scholarships were reduced from 13 to 11 also.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If that isn't a universal truth, I don't know what is.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because God help us if we piss off Aunt Bee

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

She didn't tell him to go fuck himself. She quit because 1. She wanted to go back home, to be near her sister, who is blind, deaf, and severely learning disabled, and 2. She was so burned out by the demands of basketball that she actually quit totally without picking up a ball for months and ended up on Delaware's volleyball team.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I prefer to remember it my way.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

non sequitor of the day: Nancy Lieberman's son, T.J. Cline, plays for Niagara, the men's team

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

NCAA cheerleading should get more coverage.
    Cheerleading was a Title IX exploit, where the decision came to make it a sport. Until then, we saw it as a bunch of pom pon popular girls.

Draft saved Draft deleted