1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's March 2017

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If Soros could just buy elections, they wouldn't need these protests/marches/partisan circle jerks.

3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I saw only one pizza sign in all of those cities. That makes PRESIDENT TRUMP sad.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced either. Democrats are so awful at turning out the vote in midterms. And in local and state races.

My hope is that this is the start of a new activation. And Trump seems poised to offer daily reasons to stay motivated.

We'll see if it happens. Could be a Tea Party-like movement. Or it could fizzle.

Today did have a feeling of significance.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The movement is inevitable as Hillary's victory.

expendable and cjericho like this.
  6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You sound nervous

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Large groups of angry women should scare anyone.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At least it's not angry groups of large women ...

Gator likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's ok. I'm sure none of them are interested in talking to you personally.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

What about sales at taco trucks?

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Yeah, not my type.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

It's been interesting to see a lot of my friends, who are a lot more politically active than I am, react to this. Many of them participated (for many nebulous reasons), and now they've got their backs up that, predictably, the more radical people they follow are unhappy that it wasn't diverse enough, or that it was a "white women's vanity project." From my centrist perspective, I hope it makes them recognize that the left's tendency to eat its own tail for not being <insert-ism-here> focused enough hurts far more than it helps.

To them, it was an opportunity to take a stand against the acceptance of the types of language Trump has used against women, specifically in the past, or against what they believe to be the creeping normalization of what they consider to be derogatory treatment as "boys being boys." That when some try to blow off words or ideas as locker room talk that adults should expect, they think it should be looked down upon rather than shrugged off. Will that turn into anything? Some of them are involved in more political things or making donations to organizations of their choice, but others were probably like January gym goers.

I didn't go, but I would rather chew my own arm off than be arm-to-arm with several thousand people I don't know. I'm not sure how enthusiastic I am that it will bring change, but I'm heartened that, unlike many protests of recent note, a massive, massive day went off basically peacefully. And I got a great laugh out of Ian McKellen's sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.