1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's Final Four thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 1, 2012.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

That's what my son and I noticed.

Makes you wonder....

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be odder for any person that's 6'6"+ to have some squeak? There aren't many NBA players singing soprano.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Equating Ms. Griner's voice to a male's voice is just unacceptable, why not just bust out a racial stereotype instead? Implicit gender bashing is just distasteful. You ever close your eyes and listen to your mom? Sister? Wife? Grandmother? Probably never. Yet you pick on Ms. Griner's voice simply because you're trying to find some explanation to equate her with a male.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I was making an observation. She does have a man's voice. How else would you describe her voice?
    Deep? Husky?

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

No, people say she sounds like a man because she does.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Her voice has contralto qualities.

7. doodah2

doodah2 Guest

#WacoPoliceScanner is not trending.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No. Nothing racial in the observation.

She has a deep voice. Enough where I looked up from whatever I was reading as actually paid attention because it was THAT deep.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

She definitely has a deep voice. I was taken aback by it the first time I heard her talk.

Dumb controversy last night apparently after the ND coach said that "she's like a guy playing with women." I don't know who pounced on it - sounds like ESPN - or how they played it. But it was obvious she meant athletically.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7773669/notre-dame-fighting-irish-muffet-mcgraw-clarifies-comment-brittney-griner-playing-ability

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

qtlaw didn't say it was racial. He was saying that your comment, and others on the subject, were just as bad as racial stereotyping.

Not sure I'd go that far. People used to talk about how soft Walter Payton's voice was, too.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Obviously there is some sensitivity to such things, and not without good reason.

That said, it's not like comments like this are new to women's basketball and it is kinda silly to get so worked up about them.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Bud did anyone ever imply that Sweetness was a woman? That's the difference to me.

As for silly, its not silliness to Ms. Griner who has to somehow justify that she can be a dominant player without addressing whether she's a male or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted