1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's bike racing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Dec 13, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, I know absolutely nothing about this sport. But I have a very close relative who is involved, and is sponsored by Vanderkitten, BH Cycles and Oakley.

She wants to win the De Ronde and the Tour of Flanders (she races in Belgium in the summer).

She will ride on NRC circuit and the Southeast Crit Series in 2008.

Is this big-time women's cycling, or like Triple A or Double A?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It seems like these women's events are new, the fourth running of the Women's De Ronde was this year. Same thing for the Tour of Flanders, although it appears to be part of the Women's Road World Championship.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

tour of flanders is pretty big. The NRC is as big as the U.S. has. But women's cycling is not very big here, there or anywhere -- unfortunately.

There are a handful of top-knotch women in the states and they are, arguably, the best in the world. Idaho product Kristen Armstrong is pretty much the Lance Armstrong (no relation) of women's cycling in some ways.

Regional series don't mean too much other than a chance to race and win some money without spending a lot on travel.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

It hasn't been the same since Jeannie Longo retired. (She has retired, hasn't she?)

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Tour of Flanders?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Boy, didn't see that one coming at all. :D

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yes.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Longo retired professionally but I hear she's tearing up the age groupers in New Mexico.

Draft saved Draft deleted