1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's 100 meter final in Sydney

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did the 100 runner-up in Sydney do a two-year ban for something?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With you 100 percent. I fucking hate the Olympics.

3. creamora

creamora Member

It's my opinion that the overwhelmimg majority of Olympic track and field records were set by athletes using drugs. We all know that drugs work and the records are almost impossible to beat clean. The womens records for the 100, 200 and 400 meters were set between 19 and 28 years ago. Those records will not be challenged without drugs. Should the records be removed from the books because there was no out of competition drug testing when the records were set? Are athletes today competing on the same level playing field as Flo-Jo? The short answer is NO. Should something be done? Do these incredible records being on the books promote drug use by today's athletes?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was expecting to see Barry Bonds' name pop up in there.

5. creamora

creamora Member

Is what is good for the goose, really good for the gander? This is an interesting take on the return of Jones' medals.

Jones' honesty is better late than never
    Sunday, October 14, 2007
    Sacramento Bee

Marion Jones, once arguably track and field's biggest star, admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs.

I appreciate Marion Jones blowing the whistle on herself and consequently shedding more light on a sport that has been tremendously tarnished by doping in recent decades.

Before we simplify the matter into "Jones cheated and she should return her medals," we should realize the overwhelming evidence that her playing field was level. Take Sydney 100-meter runner-up Katerina Thanou, who withdrew from the 2004 Athens Olympics because of a doping scandal. Numerous other competitors -- including several of Jones' relay teammates -- have been implicated and/or convicted of doping violations.

Jones should keep her medals, continue telling the dark secrets of track and field, and challenge the International Olympic Committee and other governing bodies to look past self-interest and financial incentives and clean up sports for the next generation.

-- Brad Kearns, Auburn

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/431822.html

Draft saved Draft deleted