1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women sports journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wabermes, Nov 3, 2008.

1. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Hey, you, Montana, are entering a hot, hot field, with tons of new job openings burgeoning from every possible direction! Don't you just get frustrated with SO many Help Wanted: 2,500 journalists wanted immediately. Must have car" posters on every telephone pole? The world is at your feet, Montana.
    :( :'(

2. Words cannot do justice to the quality of that response.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In my opinion, if you were going to narrow it down, I would go with the focus on whether women are most often assigned to cover "women's sports and issues of credibility.

The others have been covered ad naseum and you can touch on things like barriers (my sports editor didn't want me covering the NFL because of the locker room situation, etc.).

And I would check the awsm website and it would be easy to contact writers across the country through there or newspaper websites.

Some really, really good folks on here, too.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

It might be difficult to do this paper now for this reason - because of all the cutbacks, things are tough for everybody and the newspaper situation right now might be more of a difficulty than being a woman who is a sports writer. That probably might not have been true five years ago, but it is a different story today.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Most helpful resources to start will be the couple of people here who have almost surely PMed you, and the AWSM link.

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

AWSM is a great place to go... how about the Women in Sports Foundation.. they might have some stats

7. towser

towser New Member

I honestly don't know any good ones.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Then you need to get out more often.

9. AD

AD Active Member

hey towser. i'll name plenty: sally jenkins, linda robertson, selena roberts, michelle kaufman, liz robbins, karen crouse, johnette howard, gwen knapp, kelli anderson, jackie macmullen. to borrow from the laughably overcompensating macho posturing tone of this board: 'effin studs, all of 'em. do a little reading sometime. you'll learn something.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Olson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeke_Mowatt

This was about 18 years ago, but if I were writing the same paper, I would use it as a baseline and see what has changed in the past 18 years.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are too many great ones to name... You don't have to look hard at all.

12. ringer

ringer Active Member

Which medium are you focusing on: Broadcast or Print?

Lesley Visser has succeeded in both...and the prime example of how much her experience was valued by network execs came in 2000 when she was bumped from Monday Night Football and replaced by Melissa Stark. Check the two women's resumes in 2000 and you'll see a big difference. For background:

http://www.lesleyvisser.com/press-archive/paley_center/biography.aspx.html

What happened to Visser could have also happened to a man, I suppose, so be careful about making generalizations. However, I don't think what Joe Namath said to Suzy Kolber on live TV would have been said to a man. Check YouTube.

Draft saved Draft deleted