1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women sports journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wabermes, Nov 3, 2008.

1. wabermes

wabermes New Member

Hey, I'm a senior at the University of Montana. For my senior paper, I want to discuss female sports journalists and the issues they have faced over the last decade. Here are some questions I would like some input on.
    Are there more women spots journalists now than, say, 10 years ago? Do anyone keep track? What barriers do they face? Are there advantages? Are they most often assigned to cover “women’s” sports? What preparation does women who do cover sports say they need outside of learning basic reporting techniques? If they haven’t played sports do they have less credibitity? Have women been helped because of affirmative action, not as a legal term, but as a concept in getting underrepresented groups (in this case, women) jobs in sports?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting some female sports writers directly?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Why did you choose this as your topic, and what do you have already?

4. spud

spud Member

I want to do "research" on Erin Andrews.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hey, that's great. Can you go jerk off somewhere else?

6. Flash

Flash Guest

The internet: Hampering face-to-face communication since 1984.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Do you know the difference between do and does?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Does are female deers? I think it was a metaphor.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

wabermes--You asked some very broad (pun!) questions; you're probably not going to get very specific answers. Have you done any research at all?

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

You'll get more intelligent discourse here:

http://www.awsmonline.org/

11. wabermes

wabermes New Member

I have just started this paper. This was my first step to see what people thought were important topics within the realm of female sports journalism. It's a very broad topic and I was just hoping for some suggestions on how to narrow it down. I'm the sports editor at the Montana Kaimin, the University of Montana's student newspaper. That's why I decided on this specific topic, mainly because I am interested in what's out there for me once I graduate.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Check your PMs.

Draft saved Draft deleted