1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women Making their UFC Debut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

So, tomorrow Ronda Rousey fights Liz Carmouche in a fight that marks the first ever female fight to take place in the UFC. Liz Carmouche is also gay. So, it'll be the first time an openly gay fighter scraps in the UFC cage. The fight seems to be getting a lot of media play. The media, it seems, likes Rousey.

I, for one, really liked Lance Pugmire's LA Times piece on Rousey.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-0222-ronda-rousey-20130222,0,1798191.story

The UFC also produced a three part UFC Primetime series about the fight. It's mainly been playing on Fuel. So, I doubt many people have watched it. I read an article where someone called it the best piece of television that the UFC have ever done. I would agree with that description.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Me thinks the girl on the left is gonna get the shit smacked out of her.

The girl on the right is horrifying.

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

The girl on the left (Rousey) is something like a 12-1 favorite.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Didn't the fighter on the left snap someone's arm?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ronda Rousey looks like Erika Christensen's psychotic twin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also, look at all that back fat. TigerVols is appalled.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Carmouche has a striking resemblance to Danny Trejo.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

8. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Rousey had three amateur fights and won all three by first round armbar. Thus far she has had six pro fights and has won every won by first round armbar. I don't know if she's actually broken any arms, but she's certainly bent a lot of arms in ways they aren't supposed to bend. Two fights ago it looked like she broke Meisha Tate's arm but in the end that turned out to be tendon damage and not a bone break.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ronda Rousey did what Ronda Rousey does, winning in a first-round arm-bar submission.

Chef2 proves as unenlightened in women's MMA as college football.

11. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Talking of female MMA, there is actually an interesting fight taking placing the Bellator MMA undercard tonight when Holly Holm (http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=117628&cat=boxer), who is one of the top female pro boxers in the world, has her third MMA fight (she's 2-0 thus far) and her first in a major MMA promotion. She's coming out of Jackson/Winkeljohn's MMA, which is one of the best MMA camps in the world. It's where Jon Jones trains and where GSP spends a lot of time. So, it will be interesting to watch her career. She was actually discovered by Mike Winkeljohn as a teenager and he was the one who introduced her to combat sports. So, it's not like James Toney whose main trainer was a gentleman no one had ever really heard of.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20130228/holly-holm-bellator-mma-debut/

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

RickStain would.

Draft saved Draft deleted