1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in Sports Departments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Jun 8, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Write-Thinking certainly exhibits many of the traits common to a female sports writer.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

If this is the case, I'm thinking that WT is a student doing a paper.

Either that or it's a guy and he didn't get my grammar stereotyping joke.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No, I'm thinking this is a woman tired and confused by the mysogyny on this board and around the business, asking questions that might be more palatable coming from a woman than from a man.

I could be completely wrong. But I don't think so.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

But then why phrase the questions to sound as if they're coming from a man who is tired of dealing with his female boss?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It doesn't read that way if you envision it coming from a female.

Either way, the questions are still archaic and trite...but I'd understand the intention of this thread a whole lot better if a woman started it.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I started in 1976 (I was 16) and worked with women in sports departments from the start. I was a kid and didn't really think about their qualifications; I was focused on my own lack of qualifications at the time. I'm kind of glad that I'm just young enough that I didn't start in all-male sports departments because it never seemed less than normal to me. I know I liked it when I showed up to cover a game and the other writer would be female. I liked talking to them. They were a touch more worldly than the young ladies I encountered in high school during the day and since I was younger than them and probably wasn't perceived as dating material, the conversations were low-pressure and cool.

Some were mentors. On my first really good newspaper was a female copy editor who taught me a lot. On the next paper there was a writer who went out of her way to invite me to go drinking with her and out-of-town writers. I met a lot of people that way, not in a networking way but in the sense that I got to meet people I'd been reading for years.

Never worked for a woman SE, but I've worked for five who ran the newsroom.

For many reasons I'm glad I'm not older than I am, but one is because working with women has always seemed entirely normal to me.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've never given it a second thought. I consider myself fortunate to have worked alongside several competent female editors and writers who, as it was put, are just individuals doing a job.

8. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I think 21 nailed it early on. A sports dork is a sports dork. I could care less how individuals go about peeing.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a clue as to Write's gender, but this is from one of the individual's posts:

"Actually, I believe I DO know something about this topic, after nearly 32 years in the business, 23 of them as a departmental manager — and at least three years watching the slow-moving train known as the Unemployment Local come at me."

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I like when I learn things. Frank, it appears, likes women.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For the record, I like women, too.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

They're OK. But you have to remember they are people. Don't ever forget that. Which means, ultimately, that they are evil.

Draft saved Draft deleted