1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in Sports Departments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Jun 8, 2008.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nevermind.
    After Cadet's post, I will never consider another female candidate.
    That scared me. ;)

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

To pick on fishwrapper a moment :), that's one of the things I have actually heard in this business:

"Well, we had a woman on staff once, but it didn't work out, so I don't think we'll be hiring another one."

3. fishwrapper

Hey, some of my best friends are women.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I guess I'm wondering about the differences between the genders as reporters, editors and managers -- especially as managers -- and how they effect the business, and other people in it? And why?

These seem like legitimate questions, and I'm interested in things from both points of view, as Smash pointed out, and as, perhaps, I did not do well enough. At heart, as I said, I'd like to know they can be better, and hopefully, better accepted and regarded.

Based on some of the things I've read on this board, it seems a topic worth exploring, again, hopefully, for the good of everyone.

I, personally, do not think the topic is politically incorrect at all. But I feared that some on this board might.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

So I once knew this guy, WriteThinking, and he didn't know the difference between "affect" and "effect" ... I guess there's not a man on the planet who knows good grammar.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

[​IMG]

7. fishwrapper

That dude has a "skullet!"

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What does this even mean?

There are women in the freakin sports department, get over it. Some are great, some suck. Some of the men are great, some suck. If you insist on defining your colleagues by their gender, it's your problem, not theirs.

Suddenly this is the 1970s and we're explaining why we need to be in the locker room. Idiotic.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's the thing. Explain to me what traits that "men editors/managers" have, and how they "effect the business."

I realize your intentions might be good, but sorry, it's NOT a legitimate question. Has nothing to do with political correctness.

Has to do with the fact that the entire premise of your question -- that there exists such a thing as an entire trait that can be applied to most/all women in sports departments, and that it can be defined that broadly -- is a false generalization.

It can't be answered because it doesn't exist.

Just like it doesn't exist for men. People are different, personalities are different, and that is true within genders just as it is between genders.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Cadet,

I really think you're starting to pick nits here a little bit.

The idea was to open a discussion.

I apologize for not asking my original questions in exactly the same manner that you might have. But you obviously understood what I was trying to say/ask about.

So, why not just discuss the topic, instead of picking apart the questions themselves, which, frankly, still seem legitimate but which you've treated as nothing more than a matter of semantics.

And you should be careful. You don't really know who you, yourself, are stereotyping.

If this is not a good topic for discussion, then I guess the thread will die, with no helpful thoughts or hints provided by, or to, anybody.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If the question is phrased in an offensive way, it is not legitimate, no matter how much you'd like it to be.

I'm not sure what you're saying, to be honest. Like 21, your questions struck me as ones that would have asked 30 years ago.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm going to make a wild guess that Write-Thinking is female.

Draft saved Draft deleted