1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in Sports Departments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Jun 8, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'll quote Sheryl Crow: Good is good and bad is bad. It's not male or female, black or white, straight or gay. It is what it is, a good reporter, editor, photographer, page designer, etc.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is how it should be. All due respect to you and to Rosie, who has an excellent post above making a similar point, those things do matter. They are a part of the hiring process in this business and they are a part of how we are perceived by colleagues, employers and readers.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

My path winds through a handful of papers where I was the first female sports writer on staff...I was not in the vanguard, but right behind them...Sometimes, it was hard, like the college football coach who tried to intimidate me out of the locker room. He didn't. There was a time when serious discussion about gender took place because it was all so new. Well, that was a long, fucking time ago. It's not new.
    Write seems to be reaching really hard to find out why people think a woman is a good manager/leader. Being a good manager/leader is so not related to gender that the question makes me gag. Most leaders have similar qualities, albeit different styles. Sometimes, styles clash. Again, not related to gender.
    Are men and women different? Well, sure. When I pee standing up my legs get wet. Of course, if you're drunk enough to pee standing up, you don't much care if your leg is wet.
    I digress.
    Any way, every individual is a different person. We're all different from each other in ways that are so much more sophisticated and complex than (check box): gender, race, sexual orientation, height, weight, etc.
    Anyone in the industry still grappling with the idea of female sports people, be they athletes, writers, editors, camera people or broadcasters is in the wrong place.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The only difference I hear about working with women is from women themselves -- who often find it harder to work with other women.

5. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

I concur. The worst case of "old-boys network" management style I ever saw was from a woman.

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

I agree. The creator of this thread tried to lace his post in curiosity, but my only thought throughout the whole thing was: This dude has a problem with his female supervisor.

Draft saved Draft deleted