1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in men's locker rooms and vice versa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

The series is "Nine for IX," with Pat Summitt, Katarina Witt, and the '99 USWNT among the other subjects. I'm looking forward to them.

And yes, it's amazing how many people (including some in the industry) just assume that all women's locker rooms are closed to male reporters. Guess that ESPN camera just magically appeared in Louisville's when Kevin Durant showed up after they beat Baylor. With that said, I doubt the WNBA gets much coverage up north, so I can see MacLean not knowing their rules.

As for Cherry, I'd be more annoyed if I hadn't already tuned him out a long time ago. Not a good look for Canada's public broadcast network, though.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Since we're in 70s mode with this topic, Roger Angell wrote a story for the New Yorker on the issue as it pertained to baseball in its April 9, 1979, edition. Don't know if it's online anywhere, but I know it's in one of the collections of his essays ... and here's a review.

http://kellyetc.wordpress.com/tag/roger-angell/

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Guess he's taking a break from the "Europeans will ruin hockey" theme.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's the vice versa here? Men's locker rooms in women? Ouch!

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A clown comment by someone who wears clown outfits and owns a VW Bug dealership.

As mentioned earlier, this garbage was settled 30 years ago. Why we even have to discuss it is baffling.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Variety IS the spice of life..

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Players are also free to cover themselves up. Just a thought.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Drip, what the hell were you doing at Riverfront when Sam Wyche was in Seattle?

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Covering a game between the Bengals and the Jets. Why do you ask?

10. LongTimeListener

Because Sam Wyche's well-publicized rant and barring of a woman in the locker room happened in Seattle.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

No. The rant actually happened in Riverfront. I know because I was there.

12. LongTimeListener

Then you imagined something that didn't happen.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-02/sports/sp-1891_1_locker-room

SEATTLE — Cincinnati Bengals Coach Sam Wyche barred a female reporter from his team's locker room Monday night, just hours after the NFL named an investigator to look into the alleged sexual harassment of another woman reporter.

Denise Tom of USA Today was barred from the Cincinnati locker room after the Bengals' 31-16 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.