1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in men's locker rooms and vice versa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Don Cherry went off recently about how women reporters should not be in NHL locker rooms. With naked men around, he argues, it makes everything uncomfortable.

The person with Cherry in the clip believes it is OK and, he takes it further by saying men reporters should be allowed in women's locker rooms for female sports.

What do you guys, think? Is there a double standard involved when men aren't allowed in, say, WNBA locker rooms while females are allowed in the locker rooms of the NFL, NBA, etc.?

http://deadspin.com/don-cherry-thinks-women-dont-belong-in-male-locker-roo-483810712?autoplay=1

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This battle was over and done with about 30 years ago.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don Cherry misogynistic? Knock me over with a feather.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

'person with Cherry in the clip'? You mean Ron MacLean who has hosted HNIC for 25 years?

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Except that, like some people in the Deep South or the supposed Japanese commandos holed up in the nether reaches of Hawaii, there are those who don't want to give up the battle (see Zeke Mowatt about 20 years ago).

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

From a historical standpoint, I just saw a phenomenal film at TriBeCa on this issue. It's from the 30 for 30 people, though I don't believe it's under that banner. It's called 'Let Them Wear Towels.' Robin Roberts executive produced. I think it's airing on ESPN this summer.

... Great film about the slow climb toward equal access with some great historical footage, anecdotes and clips. Claire Smith is amazing...

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Why are you only directing this to the guys?

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Oh forgot to say...

Men are allowed in WNBA locker rooms. Strange that people so often assume they aren't...

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Looked to me like MacLean first grimaced when Cherry brought it up, as if to say "can we go back to talking about bad line changes?"

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The great thing about equality in the locker room is that Don Cherry is free to leave any time he feels uncomfortable.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was there when then Bengals coach Sam Wyche went off at Riverfront Stadium about women in the locker room gawking at players. That was a lie. One of those women, and I'm sorry I don't recall her name, was there and was very uncomfortable. Not because the guys were naked but that she didn't recognize them without their uniforms on. 21 is right. Don Cherry can leave anytime he wants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.