1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women: Check out this new travel destination. Men: Stay away!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070426/od_nm/china_womentown_odd_dc_1

"Women's town" to put men in their place

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese tourism authorities are seeking investment to build a novel concept attraction -- the world's first "women's town," where men get punished for disobedience, an official said Thursday.

The 2.3-square-km Longshuihu village in the Shuangqiao district of Chongqing municipality, also known as "women's town," was based on the local traditional concept of "women rule and men obey," a tourism official told Reuters.

"Traditional women dominate and men have to be obedient in the areas of Sichuan province and Chongqing, and now we are using it as an idea to attract tourists and boost tourism," the official, surname Li, said by telephone.

The tourism bureau planned to invest between 200 million yuan ($26 million) and 300 million yuan in infrastructure, roads and buildings, Li said.

"We welcome investors from overseas and nationwide to invest in our project," he added.

The motto of the new town would be "women never make mistakes, and men can never refuse women's requests," Chinese media have reported.

When tour groups enter the town, female tourists would play the dominant role when shopping or choosing a place to stay, and a disobedient man would be punished by "kneeling on an uneven board" or washing dishes in restaurant, media reports said.

The project, begun in the end of 2005, was expected to take three to five years to finish.

Frankly, the web site isn't very impressive: http://en.longshuihu.com/newEbiz1/EbizPortalFG/portal/html/index.html

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That won't be a stop on my next trip over.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And just how is this appreciably different than the average American household? ;D

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Good question. Other than the uneven board, I think it's like going on vacation to your backyard.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It will just be a matter of time until the convert to the religion of JDV...

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is things like this that make me very happy that my wife never looks at this site.

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

This really smells like a hoax

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Comments from sportschick, spup & cadet?

9. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

There's no place like home.
    There's no place like home.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have an uneven board in my spare room ;)

Just joking. But it doesn't sound all that special.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

sounds like every night club when it first opens up. Usually crawling with women until the frat boys in their striiiiiiiiiped shiiiiiiiiirts that won't grow up catch onto the place. Soon, they're showing up en masse and the women, now tired of having their ass grabbed and Jager bomb spilled on them, stop coming. I predict this town will be called "Sausage factory" in five years.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some guys pay good money to be treated like that. Not sure why, but they do.

Draft saved Draft deleted