1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women as funny people.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Jesus, dude ... I gave you a starting point. I can't do all your work for you. They're out there. Go find them.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Sorry, Flash, but the first nine I saw were women in there 30s or older...I looked, I couldn't find many, if any, younger girls

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, and in front of me more times than I'd like to count.

BTW, Lugnuts' reaching 5,000 was criminally overlooked. Congrats, amiga.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Yes, but you'll never find any if you don't do your own research ... and get rid of the prejudice you already have built up against women comedians.

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

I'd hate to see this turn into a piling-on of GBNF, but Flash seems right on this.

There a million reasons for you to have your beliefs, some which have absolutely nothing to do with whether girls are inherently funny or not. For instance, you mentioned you didn't have many funny female friends/classmates...which could just be a byproduct of what they deemed proper social behavior, or just the specific women you know/knew.
    You want instances of young funny females, and aren't readily finding them...which could be, again, that comedians don't really get exposed until late 20s, or because no one's giving them a shot to be funny because they're women.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Unfortunately, I think what ijag said was true. When you think of the most popular female comedians--Sarah Silverman, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler also comes to mind--they tend to be pretty attractive women. I'm willing to bet there are many women who don't get their chance because they're not considered to be attractive enough.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I agree with that, too.

But thinking about it, it might also be a factor of the ease in which men can slip into roles. Slobs can be slobs from 18 to 60. Blowhards can eb any age.

A woman can't play desperate at 23, at least not as easy as she can at 43. Same with the bitter housewife...

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

She's not in her 20s, but neither are half the women mentioned in this thread, so I don't feel too bad.
    I think Ellen DeGeneres is one of the funnier comediens out there -- male or female. The content of her acts is funny enough, but what I really enjoy is her stream-of-consciousness. It's just brilliant.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hear mikey's mom has it goin' on.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Are you in love with Mikey's Mom?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm damn fucking funny, and I was in college too. You just haven't had the privilege of my company yet, GBNF (although I'm older than you want).

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i might be wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted