1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women and the Masters, here we go again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vivbernstein, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Very good.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You obviously haven't read it.

Which is snide, but I'd love to know what you think of it. I have to go sleep, but I'll think on it and weigh in tomorrow. I'll say this: I feel like the point she made with her kicker wasn't the point she was making throughout, and it felt cheap to me.

3. jr/shotglass

I read fast.

I thought it read well.

And actually, come to think of it, his persona around the 12th hole yesterday was of someone who probably could have used his parents in the house.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

While this is true...it's only true because the media makes it so. The Masters is a media creation. It's not a championship. It's not anything but a "major," that no one officially sanctions. It doesn't have the strongest field. It doesn't have the biggest purse. It doesn't typically produce the best winners. It operates on nostalgia. Who generates that? The press.

5. jr/shotglass

What does that have to do with what transpired here regarding the reporter? I don't get it.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, Alma, maybe at the beginning, but we're long past that. Your post implies that if the press could somehow stop covering the Masters tomorrow, it would revert to being the Texas Open.

That probably wasn't true 25 years ago, and it's certainly not true anymore -- if the press said, "Nope, not going to cover it anymore," Masters.org would, and they'd set up their own syndicated TV, and it would still be one of the biggest sports events of the year.

As for the other, it was obviously bad for all the stated reasons, but for those who say, "This should be a first-class event and this shouldn't happen," I say: If you find a way to guarantee that no new and inexperienced human being is ever involved in these kinds of things, ever again, throughout time, let me know. You'll be the first.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Except he's right. It is a media creation. Its reality and its hype are two different things.

People bitch a lot about the NCAA tournament or the Super Bowl not living up to their hype. This tournament gets a pass too much of the time. It's an outdated relic and should be treated as such.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

ANGC is responsible for the training. Sorry.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This, and if you're the target of an annual debate about your club's sexist mentality and membership practices, probably a good idea to be sure you don't give folks more proof.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree completely. While it's policy to allow women reporters into the locker room, that needs to be spread to all outsourced security, especially those guarding the doors to the locker room. On that point, ANGC failed and while the apology is all nice and good, it should still take heat for this.

I'm curious, were Tara and others stopped earlier in the week from going into the locker room, or was it just an issue Sunday afternoon?

11. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

Rufino,

First you dismiss all criticism by Liz Mullen with that napalm comment meant to discredit her as some radical. Then you dismiss the entire incident as a mere inconvenience. Think it would be a mere inconvenience if it happened to you?

It matters, because:
    1. A female sports reporter wasn't allowed to do her job because of her gender.
    2. It happened at a major sporting event.
    3. That event was at Augusta National, which has a history of treating women as second-class citizens. As Barry Svrluga commented on twitter, "Augusta National says exclusion of female reporter from locker room interview was "mistake." Think culture of club had anything to do w/ it?"

You have something in common with that security guard (whose gender is irrelevant, by the way). Neither of you get it.

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

There was an intern at my old paper who had the same problem at a PGA Tour event. Barred from the locker room, and some nasty comments while in there doing her job, though not from the golfers. The whole thing was mortifying to her and she ultimately left the business.

You want to to know why the number of women in our business remains stagnant? Stuff like this, at small tournaments, to interns, discourages women from sticking around.

Obviously, Tara isn't easily intimidated. But those other issues rarely make a headline.

Yes it matters. No it's not minor. And the PGA Tour should train all security guards at the locker door to know how federal law applies to their job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.