1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women and the Masters, here we go again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vivbernstein, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

Yes, it's always a minor inconvenience when one is told she is not allowed to do her job and is made to feel like a second-class citizen.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The gain in journalism man-points would not be offset by the loss of readers/viewers. Not even with bonus Green Stamps.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Yep, that's exactly what Tara's editors must have been thinking when she told them she was prevented from getting the interview most everyone else had. Sorry, can't make deadline! Off to have some tea, will try again tomorrow!

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

When located by reporters, the guard in question said, "When I ask her to make a sandwich, she better make the damn sandwich or she doesn't get in."

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

No one's defending what happened, but the claim it's Augusta National that wanted it to happen makes no sense. Why would they keep a woman reporter out of the locker room today, when they hadn't in the past? Which makes more sense - a clueless security person did that, or that they wanted to discriminate and then changed their mind in the face of the powerful Twitter rage?

By the way, yesterday another Augusta National security genius told reporters they weren't allowed to re-enter the course from the area under the tree where interviews are held. That security guard had no clue what was going on either. Guess we should have gone on Twitter and talked about being hassled by the Man.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Her column on it.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/041111_Sullivan_My_side_of_the_story_on_being_denied_access_to_Masters_locker_room.html

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For a normal event, I'd agree. But this is The Masters Tournament, a tradition unlike any other and all that. If you relentlessly tell everybody about how great and special and misunderstood you are -- i.e. if you are telling us that you're on a higher shelf than the standard American sporting event -- then you are obligated to act like it. And that means in everything. It means you don't just pawn off security to a third party for which The Masters Tournament is simply another assignment. It means you do ensure that every part of the operation occupies the first-class status you claim it has.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

You do realize it was a female security guard, right?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Masters is great because they don't allow anyone to say otherwise. When the only people you allow to cover the event are required to blow sunshine up your ass 24/7 - big shock that people regard the event with such esteem.
    Frank Deford had a segment on Real Sports a way back titled "American Singapore." He made a lot of interesting points. I like it because it is - for the most part - the same tourney its always been. I dislike it for the same reason. So full of itself, so bound by tradition, it seems prone to hemophelia.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Nice:
    Los Angeles Times columnist Bill Plaschke immediately pulled me aside to share the quotes, and later, colleague John Romano e-mailed me a full transcription of the taped interview.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Wondering if she wrote a second column about, like, golf.

viv ... you know?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I assumed she had, since she walked back out to the 10th to get more perspective on it.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/041111_Sullivan_For_Rory_McIlroy_a_major_mistake.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.