1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women and the Masters, here we go again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by vivbernstein, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Good idea. Then they can stop covering the World Series, Daytona 500, NCAA Championships or anything else that's important.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If media organizations choose to stop covering an event because of ANGC, they're doing it for themselves and not for their readers.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's the biggest/most important golf tournament of the year.

Do I feel bad for Tara? Yah. But I also see this as a faux pas by ANGC. This isn't policy of the turn-ament.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can't avoid covering. However, participating in the "media lottery" and getting (and in most cases begging for) the privilege of playing Augusta is probably something that would be wise to end, if it was ever wise to begin.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Just checking, this is 2011, right?

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

There are plenty of things to rip Augusta for, but they aren't guilty here of anything other than employing an overzealous, poorly trained security guard. This clearly isn't club policy, considering 1. female reporters have done interviews in the locker room in the past without incident and 2. they'd never apologize for something sexist they actually meant to do, as Martha Burk can tell you.

Without Twitter to stir this thing up - and Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal appears to want a federal investigation as a starting point, with napalm strikes on the course as a followup - this would have been an unfortunate but relatively minor inconvenience. Sometimes it's better to wait before reacting to things.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

And yet we have this thread.

I think Masters coverage should diminish and/or die because it's a relic of an outdated age. I didn't miss missing the event again this year.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

aww, Augusta National apologized and promised it wouldn't happen again. Good for them. Does the apology come with a chance to ask Rory McIlroy a question, because if not, it's pretty worthless.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I can't wait to go back to more commercials, on-course ads and other clutter. Modern sports, I miss you!

A lot of readers and viewers can separate ANGC's private-club policies from the Masters. Boycotting and not serving that audience doesn't seem too smart.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yep, those crazy broads stirring shit up...all they had to do was sit nice and pretty and wait for the apology. What's the big deal? It was an accident! Could happen to ANYONE!

The fact there's still event security that doesn't know the freaking law is just incredible, even at Augusta.

Blech.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Given the talent pool most security companies draw from - and the fact we're talking Podunk, Georgia here, it doesn't surprise me this guy didn't know the law. We're talking shallow end of the pool here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.