1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman with 70 IQ set for Va. execution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Sep 23, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I can't remember the state, it might have been Arkansas or Texas, and they executed a mentally retarded man a few years back.

I just remember for his last meal he asked for strawberry shortcake. When they came to take him to his death, he hadn't eaten dessert. So the priest/warden/guard asked him why he hadn't and he told them he was saving it for later.

The death penalty is terrible, terrible law. And something that makes all of us lesser.

2. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

That's one thing I've always found peculiar about the pro-death penalty crowd. Wouldn't you think that they'd take satisfaction in knowing that the actions of the murderer were beneath them and now he/she must live the rest of his/her life in a prison cell?

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You'd think rotting in solitary would be a worse punishment than death.

And frankly, given the costs associated with the death penalty, more fiscal conservatives should be against it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would dispute this.

5. Mizzougrad96

When they are a convicted double murderer, yes.

But I'm not going to convince you otherwise, just as you're not going to me otherwise.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The death penalty is good. It would be better if we could find cheaper ways to do it, like take a plastic bag and smother someone with it. Those things cost like 11 cents.

Does that sound inhumane? It didn't before I typed it. Swear.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You still haven't answered my question:

What purpose is served by executing her?

8. Mizzougrad96

You never answered mine either.

We disagree and we're never going to agree so deal with it.

I don't have to justify my beliefs to you anymore than you have to justify yours to me.

9. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Consequence. Holding people responsible for their actions. And bottom line justice.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't usually wade into these debates but some people by their actions do not deserve to live.

Life in prison would suck but they adjust, find some things that give them pleasure. There are some crimes that are so heinous that the response deserves to be the ending of the scumbag's life.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually, I did answer you. With something other than "beliefs."

Your turn.

12. Mizzougrad96

Well Az,

Let's just say I'm not surprised that this country's willingness to execute someone with an IQ under 70 would worry you. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted