1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman sues Match.com after date tried to kill her

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 24, 2013.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Girl meets boy on the Internet. Girl decides she's not interested, eight days after meeting him. Boy stabs girl 10 times. Boy gets arrested and kills himself in prison. Girl sues Match.com for "lulling [daters] into a false sense of security."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57565665/las-vegas-woman-sues-match.com-after-scorned-date-tries-to-kill-her/

In all seriousness, I tried Match.com once (there's a thread on it here). There has to be a way to improve the online dating process.

Oh, and I'm sure the guy used a real pic in his dating profile. (See pic at the link for what he really looks like.)

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it any more risky than any other dating method? You can meet crazy through a friend, at a ballgame, just about anywhere. Even if you take all the precautions, things can go wrong. Not sure Match is to blame but it will be interesting to watch.

I do love the State Farm commercial with the "French model." Said so on the Internet. Uh, bonjour!

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm a little confused about the "not meeting in person" option before the first date. Doesn't the meeting-in-person part constitute a "date"?

Never had a blind date?

If talking on the phone isn't an accurate barometer, what would a more efficient vetting method be? That's pretty much the most common one, regardless of the method of meeting.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Most smart people meet for the first time in a public place. After that, there's no difference between that meeting and bumping into someone at a bar, the grocery store or in line at the bank and striking up a conversation.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

She says Match.com paired her with Wade Mitchell Ridley, who she dumped eight days after meeting in September 2010. Four months later he hid her in a garage and stabbed her ten times.

Are there any copy editors left working in the world?
    He didn't hide her in a garage. He hid in her garage.

I guess I need to hide from this garbage.

6. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Craig/SF and I met through match.com. He wrote one hell of a profile.

7. He didn't stab you, either, so he had that going for him.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I had a "date" with a woman I met on match.com and within 15 minutes of our first (and only) meeting, she told me she had once run a congressional campaign but now she was trying to put her life back together after things went wrong, which included her decision to try crack. Luckily, it was an NFL Sunday, so I only missed one half of football before I escaped and retreated to the safety of the sports bar on the other side of town.

My next foray into meeting a woman on the Internet worked out much better.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Outing alert: YGBFKM is Manti Te'o.

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I felt fairly safe meeting him at his home, too, what with him being from Wisconsin and me not being a deer.

11. printit

printit Member

This woman has zero case.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's as safe as it gets. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted