1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman sparks controvery over photo at Arlington National Cemetery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Nov 20, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think it's part of our darker nature to pile on someone else's foibles. The Internet just widens the circle of "someone elses" to gang up on. The Christmas list woman was an egregious example of reaction being a mile over the top. In this case, when you're dealing with one of the nation's vererated sites, it's a lot harder to call reaction over the top, tho setting up a FB page over it comes pretty close.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sure it's stupid but the faux outrage is equally stupid. She's a young kid having some photo fun with a sign. She certainly wasn't seeking a way to be disrespectful to fallen soldiers. But Facebook idiots -- the same ones who are asking you every day to "like" some insipid picture if you're really an American -- need something over which to become outraged, so she'll serve that purpose for today. Sigh.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think it would have been cool if one of TOUS guards shot her middle finger off.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That culture amazes me.

Every day, I see relatives - uncles and aunts who used to be authority figures - posting things like, "If you care about fighting cancer, you will copy this and post it as your status update." Or something like, "Many Americans are ashamed about their love of the Lord Jesus Christ these days. Post this as your status update to show that you are not one of those Americans."

I mean, grown-ass men and women. Taking stuff like that serious as a heart attack.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She certainly wasn't seeking a way to be disrespectful to fallen soldiers.

Completely disagree.

1. Cranberry, what would one have to do in your opinion, to be disrespectful in Arlington?
    2. In your opinion, at what age does a 'young kid' become an adult?

6. poindexter

Nobody cares about your facebook friends and others you always tell us about. People talking about their love of Jesus Christ isn't germane to this thread.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

People should be more light-hearted like yourself.

LTL said it best. Acting like an idiot has consequences. If this woman gets fired, it's her fault. No blaming other people. No blaming a specific "culture." Most of us are responsible for our actions. Not everyone can be president (sorry, couldn't resist).

8. Dick Whitman

Well that was certainly an unexpected response.

9. poindexter

Sorry it came off so rudely.

10. Dick Whitman

Nobody cares about your cigarettes. Cigarettes are not germane to this thread.

11. Dick Whitman

You came off like a complete fucking asshole.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted