1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman sparks controvery over photo at Arlington National Cemetery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Nov 20, 2012.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere ...

A Massachusetts woman puts a photo on her Facebook page of her flipping the bird and pretending to yell next to a sign about showing silence and respect at Arlington National Cemetery. It gets some attention, gets a lot of people worked up, then it comes out that she was there on a work-funded trip. So there's a new Facebook page calling for her to be fired and she's been placed on unpaid administrative leave as her employer investigates.

Her defense was that her and her friends were acting like "the douchebags that we are, challenging authority in general" and that she meant no disrespect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/20/lindsey-stone-facebook-photo-arlington-national-cemetery-unpaid-leave_n_2166842.html?utm_hp_ref=technology

That's a tough sell to me, that she shouldn't be held accountable for her actions when she's basically representing her company on a business trip. If she wants to be a "douchebag", then she can be an unemployed one.

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

"Her defense was that her and her friends were acting like "the douchebags that we are, challenging authority in general" and that she meant no disrespect."

Ummm ... challenging authority is the definition of disrespect. Fail.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Didn't all those soldiers buried there fight to protect our freedoms? Freedom of expression is one, I believe, as is the freedom to be disrespectful, distasteful as it may be to some.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The government is not firing her, micro.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

She shouldn't be fired for posing for the picture.

She should be fired for being stupid enough to post it on the Internet.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She's become a pariah on fb.

Her life is going to be made a living hell for a while. People have the freedom to express how distasteful they find her.

7. poindexter

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOOK AT ME, WORLD!!!! NO, WAIT, DON'T LOOK AT ME, WORLD!!!!

God do I love it when idiots find out there are consequences for being an idiot. She works at a nonprofit that assists adults with disabilities. (Over/under on her daily usage of the word "retard": 7 1/2.) I assume that nonprofit depends on fund-raising.

So, she gone.

9. poindexter

There was some young woman in central California who called Obama an N-word on her fb after the election. Her ass was fired by Coldstone Creamery immediately.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm a big fan of questioning authority. I prefer it be done with some minimum of intelligence.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Love looking at all the hypocrites on the FB page posting their violent thoughts of rape and misogyny toward this woman.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's the hilarious/disgusting part.

Draft saved Draft deleted