1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Woman runs fake newspaper obit to fend off creditors

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, May 21, 2008.

1. Whoops. Might have gotten away with it, too, if not for those meddling good-doers who wanted to pay their respects to a fallen soldier.

http://charleston.net/news/2008/may/21/woman_says_fake_obit_intended_keep_credi41612/

A North Charleston woman who claimed to be the mother of a female Air Force officer killed in Iraq conceded Tuesday the officer doesn't exist.

Melanie Grant, 39, said she thought she could buy time with creditors if she told them her daughter had died. A paid obituary published Thursday and Friday in The Post and Courier stated Lt. Melissa Hope Grant, 24, died May 11 in Iraq.

"I just made it up. Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking," a tearful Melanie Grant said.

A photograph accompanied the obituary. Grant said she tore the photo from the pages of a bridal magazine.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in North Charleston...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, her money's still good. Papers should see fake obits as a growth market

5. This will not end well? (Or am I skipping a line?)

How about ...

... has never been in my kitchen?

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

This is why you should make a funeral home confirm each and every obit, even the paid ones.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmmm....

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yah yah yah, maybe somebody can invite her to "mentor the youth." ::) ::)

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

She stole the idea from Creed Bratton.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

BAD career move.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Imagine if you were the bride in the magazine and you suddenly pick up a paper and see an obit with your picture on it?

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Pitch this idea to publishers now and see how many of them go for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted